Friday, September 9, 2011

Alisson's Story-4


(Continuing from Alisson's Story-3)

 ...Later that night Julie dragged me to the BCM on campus. She said fellowship would be good for me. Surprisingly, the message turned out to be about relationships, and how without God they are like a flat tire- going nowhere. During worship the band sang “Open Hands,” by Matt Papa. As soon as I heard it tears started streaming down my face.  How could God’s grace be so good but so painful?  Julie just wrapped her arm around me tight and we sang together. After the song was over she turned to me and said, “Wasn’t that awesome?” I looked at her and said, “It feels so much better when it’s not conviction but grace.” 

 Later that night I was talking to Mandy about how broken I felt. She told me to let God comfort me! “How do you do that?” I asked.  She told me to start reading in Isaiah 40 which is about God comforting His people. I told her I didn’t understand and that I would talk to her more about it in the morning.
          The next morning I was up and reading some of Mandy’s blogs and came across the last of a series she was finishing about Samson being mad at God. All of a sudden a light bulb came on in my head. I was mad at God for answering my prayer! I’m sure God was just shaking his head at me thinking, “Women… they never know what they want.”  

After I realized I was mad at God I began to feel bad and immediately made it right with Him.   After I did this I went to do my quiet time and figured I’d give Isaiah 40 and on another try. It finally made sense! Isaiah 41:10 told me to fear not for God was with me! But the big one that caught my eye was in Isaiah 14-18. Through this verse God showed me that there was more pain in the break up because I wasn’t obeying Him before.  Then He said when you get tired of making your own plans and you get too overwhelmed, I’m here and I won’t leave you!  He also told me that He will open doors and rivers where you never imagined!  God was there to take care of me.
Sometimes I think we forget that God created the universe and everything in it. Mathew 11:28 says, “Come to me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest,” and that is exactly what I am doing. 

Maybe you too, like Alisson are running from God.  Maybe you aren't seeking his will in a certain area of your life, therefore you feel like he is far from you.  Whatever your situation,  you can find the same freedom Alisson did if you just let God be God.  Lay down your heavy loads, your burdens, your fears, your idols--everything.  Lay it down and pick up God's will.  Freedom comes in letting go and letting God.

This is the last post on the series of Alisson's story.  I really recommend you sit down and read all 4 parts in one setting some time.  It brought tears to my eyes and reaffirmed God's amazing love and grace for us.  If you have a similar story to share, comment below or email it to divinedatingforgirls@gmail.com.  God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...