Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I Can't Help You Find Yourself

I wish you well, I wish you well
On this trip to find yourself
I wish you well, wish I could help
But I can't help you find yourself

These are beautiful lyrics from Thousand Foot Krutch's song Wish You Well. I share them with you today because the truth in them is unending. I think the source of almost all our problems as females and as young people is not knowing our identity. You have probably heard me blog about this a time or too before, but it is just such a huge thing and yet so under recognized.

You see, as humans God designed us to be worshipers. We will ALWAYS be worshiping something. It could be that you worship your boyfriend, your role model, food, television, Facebook, yourself, or any number of things--we ALL worship something. The problem is nothing we worship will give us lasting fulfillment and secured identity except Christ. All other things will come to pass and then our identity will be shattered.

But the hard part is...How do we find our identity in Christ?
This is the tricky part.
I can't give you some verses and a magical formula to make this happen. It's a lifelong journey of choosing God and God's word. Some of my closest Christian friends struggle with knowing their identity. They are tossed to and fro with the problems of life because they have no solid foundation to worship. They worship clothes, money, sex. This is fun and fine for a while, but when life throws a curve ball it leaves you stranded and strung out.

The more you study the word the more God reveals to you about your relationship with him, your role in the world, and the characteristics of God you have received. The more you continuously refocus your thoughts, mind, and heart on God, the more he shows you exactly what your heart beats for and why you are placed in your exact circumstances.

It all goes back to Matthew 6:33. Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and then all of these things will be given to you as well. I have had discussions with friends about people who still have not yet come into their identity as a person. Sometimes people can recognize this in others and sometimes they can't. It's usually the people who are constantly craving attention. They have a need to "showcase" their actions and words so that other people will recognize them. Other times it's people who fake their identity by always saying, "Well you know me, I..." or "I think this.." "I always do this..." but once you really get to know them you understand that they really have no clue what they actually think, believe, or feel.

For girls I like to relate it to Julia Robert's character in the movie Runaway Bride. The director used the illustration of eggs for Julia's identity. The poor girl runs from man to man, getting engaged, planning a wedding, and then it never fails, at the last minute she backs out. One scene tells of how she had been engaged to all different sorts of guys, not just one type, and when she is asked how she likes her eggs it changes depending on what guy she is with.

 Maybe you are like that.  Are you struggling to find your true self?  Look up and stop looking around.  PEOPLE change.  People are inconsistent and sinful by nature, we all are (Romans 3:23.)  But GOD on the other hand is clear, consistent, and true.  He never changes (Numbers 23:19, Malachi 3:6) and he is the truth for those who seek him (John 14:6.)  So look to Him for your purpose, identity, and egg preference.  Seek GOD first, and all these things will be added unto you. Matthew 6:33


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and oh so true! Finding my identity in Jesus instead of something else is something I’ve been working on over the past two years. It’s definitely not easy – but so worth it at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you chose to take that hard but wonderful journey! God will bless you so much for seeking his face. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quality articles or reviews is the crucial to be a focus for
    the people to go to see the website, that's what this website is providing.

    Check out my web-site - weight loss
    My website :: weight loss

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...