Monday, September 19, 2011

My soul will rest in you.

Troubles surround me, chaos abounding
My soul will rest in You.
I will not fear the war, I will not fear the storm
My help is on the way, my help is on the way

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always
I will not fear, His promise is true
My God will come through always, always
                          --Kristian Stanfill: Always

This is a beautiful song of the comfort, hope, and peace God gives us when life gets a little crazy.  I think the hardest part about receiving this comfort is letting God give it to you.  I talk to people all the time who really want help and comfort from God, but yet they are too stubborn to lay down their troubles.  We think if we just keep trying things we will ultimately fix the problem themselves.

 It's a control thing we all have as humans.  We feel like it is our right to be in control of our own life, and we don't want no help from no body!  This is fine for those who don't mind misery--but God has something so much bigger and better in store for his children if we will let him show us!!


      Step 1:  Recognize that your life is not your own, you were bought with a price.


1 Corinthians 6:19-20
"Do  you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought with a price.  Therefore honor God with your body.

Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

When you become a Christian you accept that you are a sinner, and that you need help and forgiveness from God Almighty himself.  You also confess him as Lord.  This means you give him control over your thoughts (2 Corinthians 10:5,)  your desires (Psalm 37:4,) and your plans (Proverbs 16:3.)  

This is not a natural occurrence, it is the result of an overflowing heart for God that says, "I love God so incredibly much, because I realize I deserve nothing he has given me, and because of that I choose to lay down my life for him and let his glory be made known through me, and this way others will come to know the hope and peace that I have found in Him."

     Step 2: Realize that God has everything under control.

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Isaiah 41:13 (MSG)
"That's right.  Because I, your God, have a firm grip on you and I'm not letting go."

If God can create an entire intricate universe that includes insects, the molecular biology of plants, every internal and external organ of the human being, all the millions of different animals in the world, and magnificent nature, in just 6 days, what makes us thing he can't handle our momentary problems?  Yes, it might be cancer, a divorce, or rumors--but we're talking about the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE here!!  He has this whole thing planned out already!  One way or another he is going to get glory from this and you are either going to go closer or farther away from him depending on what you chose (Joshua 24:15.)

     Step 3: Lay it down.

1 Peter 5:7
"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

Philippians 4:6
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

As a human, one of the hardest things you'll do is admit that you can't do it by yourself, and that you need help.  However, if we come to this realization that God can handle it, and he does know what's best for us, we can start to receive his help.  We just have to humble ourselves and lay down our controlling hearts first (2 Chronicles 7:14.)


    Step 4: Let him comfort you.

Psalms 34:18 (MSG)
"If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there."

Psalm 73:26
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

After we initially lay down our plans, troubles, or whatever, it is often instinct to pick it right back up when God starts to do work.  This just takes us right back where we started though.  It is important to remember to keep your pile of stuff at God's feet.  Stop trying to take back the reigns and control it yourself.  YOU WILL MESS UP if you keep trying to fix it in your strength alone.  Let Go and Let God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...