Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What I Learned by Asking Advice

So you're at a point in your life and you don't know where to go next or which choice you should choose.  What do you do?

Proverbs 11:14
"Without good direction, people lose their way;
the more wise counsel you follow, the better your chances."

A little over a month ago I had a quiet time regarding this verse.  After much thought I decided it would be a good idea to get advice for my future from my pocket of wise friends and family.  What I learned was some great "life" advice that applies to anyone entering a new season.  After much messaging, texting and breaking bread with these "elders" of my life, this is what I learned:

  • From a much older and wiser friend to a younger one-"Travel before a family comes along is the way to go, I'd say."  
  • From a wise and godly cousin- "Where your great joy meets the world's great need is where you should be." 
  • Find out what you want, what brings you true joy and ask yourself if you can get by
    (financially) doing just that...if yes, do it.
  • It's okay to make wrong choices.
  • It's okay if the world things you are crazy for following a dream.
  • Another wise old cousin- "You can make money doing what your passionate about.  It may not be easy or a lot of money, but it's possible."
  • Do whatever you want but keep in mind you have to be on your own insurance by age 26.
And my two favorite which I have heard most often and most repetitively from all sorts of faces:
  1. Do what you want to do.
  2. When you find it, you'll know it
Those two make me laugh because they are so simple and true, yet it's one of those things that happens when you aren't searching for it.  

I guess that leads to the advice I would give someone like myself:

Don't worry about it so much, God will work it out for you when he's ready. 

Easier said than done of course.  But that's where the Bible's steadfast truth comes in.  The following chapters are always comforting in times of uncertainty for me:

Philippians 4
Jeremiah 29
1 Peter 4
Psalm 3

And of course, if you're still stressed out, you can always put on some good ol' Otis Redding: 


That song always reminds me that it's okay to just chill sometimes.  

"I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watchin the tide roll away, ooh
I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time."

So smile, relax, have some fun and trust that everything is really a lot more okay than you think it is.  With the big man in charge it can't be too bad in the end, right?  And...don't forget to thank him instead of complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...