Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Who Will You Serve?

Deuteronomy 29 and 30.  Who would think to look here for revival and inspiration?  God's word stands true.  The Bible is full of life, action, conviction and judgement, thus leading to healing (Hebrews 4:12.)  And these two chapters do just that.

You see, I often explain to people what I see as a missional Christian looking at nonbelievers.  I pray for them, I point them in the right direction, give them advice, speak truth into them and take them to church.  But after all that, the Lord always leads me to the one determining point.  I hate this part, because I've seen it far too many times.  It hurts like crazy.

After pouring my heart into this specific individual, loving them and shining light into their life, it comes time for the point of choice.  At this point God asks nothing more but for me to step out, watch, and pray.  I always illustrate this breath-holding moment by weighing my hands back and forth like a scale.  I do this because it shows exactly what these individuals are going through.

They are weighing the decisions of life and death in their hands.  Do they follow God and become an outcast to the world, thus changing and challenging every area of their present life, or do they take the easier, more common road and push the pain down deeper as they go along with the lifestyle everyone else leads.

The feeling I get from watching this "moment" is comparable to training up your child with word and knowledge, only to stand on a street corner watch with your own eyes as they fall into the temptation of drugs. Gosh it hurts.  It hurts so bad, I ask, "God how in the world do you do it? Why would you choose to love such prideful beings as us?"


I hate watching this decision part, because I know there is absolutely nothing God or I can do.  The full weight of the decision rests on this individual, and I know it, and I see it.  I see the life and fullness that comes with choosing God, yet I just as easily see the path of sin and destruction waiting for them.  It's a Russian Roulette feeling, there is a 50% chance they'll live for ever, and a 50% chance they will burn for all eternity, far far away from me and even worse, away from God.

So what do you do?


Nothing.

God simply calls us to watch and pray as we step back and wait for the individual to choose for themselves who they will serve (Joshua 24:15) and that takes real love, and real patience, the kind that only comes from resting in God alone.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...