Wednesday, April 18, 2012

To Drink or Not to Drink? That is the Question.

Hmm...so here we are about one month away from my twenty first birthday.  I've been praying about this event since November, and after a mixture of emotions, responses, and decisions....I'm still totally clueless as to how to handle this situation.


One of my best friends is celebrating her 21st today.  I respect her as a sister in Christ, and I know she loves the Lord and so do her friends.  Her friends have been taking her out for drink all day in celebration, and in between times she shared the gospel with someone!

I have another buddy who will turn 21 in one week.  He too is confused.  He wants to have a toast of celebration, but the only people he has to drink with are his family, and he is the only Christian around, so he knows this would not be a smooth move on his part, especially given the full details of the situation.


Here's my story:
November-ish is when a lot of my friends turned 21.  I excitedly watched as each one reacted differently.  One of my besties who has drank a lot in high school simply drank a few beers with a close friend.  No fireworks, no bars, just simple enjoyment.

Then a non-religious friend had her birthday in December and did not even have a drop.  In fact she's never had a drop, and doesn't plan on it until May, when we both plan to have a glass of wine together as a mutual celebration.  (I thought that was sweet.)

My close Christian friend Ashley celebrated in March by taking a car full of us girls to a fancy restaurant!  She had a sip of margarita, hated it, and doesn't plan on drinking much any more.

Another classmate turns the big 2-1 next weekend and has a four day event page posted on Facebook.  Bars, shots, drinks, and kegs will be involved in this ongoing celebration!  (I thought it sounded fun but a tad extreme.)

So I have all different friends doing all different things.  My whole life I always just assumed I would drink a few on my birthday.  I never wanted to get wasted, just a good buzz ya know?  Either way, I began praying about the upcoming event.

In February I had a conversation with a friend who was about to make the age jump.  I explained to him that I didn't think drinking was a sin, but that getting drunk was a sin.  (Ephesians 5:18, Proverbs 20:1)  I explained that just like anything else, moderation is the key.  God is God, not alcohol.

He then asked if I would join him in a few casual drinks.

I quickly started explaining the biblical rule of "living above reproach."  The Bible talks about this a lot, and I did not want to ruin someone's salvation story because they saw me drinking a few cold ones just for the heck of it.  Put simply: it would depend on who was around.


Shortly after that we were sitting in church and I became heavily convicted about the previous conversation. Haley, if you are doing something you don't want everyone to see, you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place anyways.


So we made a vow to sobriety.

Then I read Blue Like Jazz and my entire theology was questioned and I became interested again.  Alcohol is an enjoyable thing.  We make it bad because of social context and extreme drunkards without self-control.

I have friends who don't believe you should touch alcohol with a ten foot pole.  "If the Bible says don't do it, then run as far away in the other direction as you can."


I also have friends who think it's okay for Christians to drink as long as they don't get drunk or they are not around people who they would cause to stumble.

I also have lost friends whom I have been fervently praying for and pointing to God.  Not to mention the few girls I disciple on a regular basis.



So as I said, now I am a month away and still being tossed like a wave at sea.  This is what I am asking, What are your thoughts?  Do you think it's a sin to drink or just to be drunk?  What would be the best thing to do in my situation?


Friday I will post what God laid on my heart.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's a very personal decision. I don't think it's a sin to have a drink, unless God has laid it on your heart not to. I believe Christ had wine, and turned water into wine. Apparently a glass of wine can be good for you, though I don't know since I don't like wine.

    I have drank in the past, sadly even been drunk. Personally I am making the decision to mostly not drink. My hudband will have a drink every now and then, and I don't think he's doing anything wrong. I said I mostly don't drink, because if my husband asks me to have a drink with him on a special occassion I will. But that has more to do with my learning to submit to my husband (he would never ask me to do what I'm uncomfortable with so I have no fear doing as he asks).

    I don't think you can go wrong as long as you do what God leads you to. There is a book called pass me another dr. Pepper please (I think that's the right name). It explains why the author has chosen not to drink. I can't say it affected my decision, but it's a book that doesn't tell you what to do, just explains why he made his choice. I did find it helpful. It's by Randy Shuler if you want to look into it.

    Anyway, I hope this at least encouraged you in your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used think that if I decided to go out to a bar and have a drink it would be totally fine as long as I didn't get drunk... and anyone who said otherwise was being overly strict in their judgement.

    But then one day it hit me, if I walked into a bar and saw someone who I knew talked about Jesus constantly... or saw someone I looked up to... how would I feel. I still remember a few times I walked into a local bar and saw a worship leader friend with a beer in his hand, immediately my mind made a flash (negative) judgement of him. Was my judgement wrong... probably. It's kind of funny because I was heading there to do the same thing as him... relax and have a beer. Made me think what others thought when they saw me. Like you said, we should always be conscious of how others (especially non-believers) see us... Christ-followers have a very hyprocit-ish reputation these days.

    On the flip-side, I'll walk in to my parents house and see them and some friends laughing it up over a bottle of wine and have zero problem with it. Drinking a glass of wine and chatting with my mom is soooo much fun.

    And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

    Check your heart. Chatting with someone over a drink can very well lead to a conversation that will forever change their life.
    You're light-years ahead of me as far as your mindset going in to your 21st... I was all about doing whatever the heck I wanted. Jesus loves that your weighing your decision based on love for others. Kudos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insights from both of you! Thanks for the feedback, I love hearing your opinions. Today's post shows my answer...it kind of mixes in with what you both suggested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't matter when you drink - before, after or during the meal, unless, of course you drink a pint or two at a time.christian marriage

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...