Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Good Charlotte Gospel: I Just Wanna Live

(Post 3 out of 3 in The Good Charlotte Gospel series.)

3) "I Just Wanna Live"
I just want to live I just want to live
Don't really care about the things that they say 
Don't really care about what happens to me
I just want to live

Stop your messing around boy
Better think of your future
Better make some good plans boy
Said everyone of our teachers
Look out, you better play it safe
Never know what hard times will come your way

Okay so there's actually quite a stretch to connect this song with my message, but one inspired the other, and so I am attempting it regardless.  


I just wanna live.  I do.  I really, really, truly do.  Over Spring Break I realized that I had made myself completely miserable and sick with all the worry, stress, and pressures of other people's desires for my life!  Everyone thinks I ought to have a plan.  They tell me I need to know where I'm going to live, who I'm going to marry, and what I'm going to do with my time from now until eternity happens.


I realize that I have spent most of my life pleasing these life-sucking scoundrels.  By pleasing them I'm not pleasing God.  God doesn't tell me I need plans.  In fact, he says the opposite, he tells me to be as carefree as a bird in the sky.


I want to cry for hours when I look at the birds in the sky.  How desperately I want to have a life like that.  I want to live.  I want to truly live like that.


I guess this is why I have been on a hippie kick lately.  I have this huge desire to sell everything I own and go live out of a backpack.  I want to eat with the homeless and work with my hands.  I want to get dirty, really, really dirty.  I want to live without technology, plans, and emails.  I want to rediscover the real parts of people.  Their breath, their face, their fingernails.  


Birds are so great at this.  You watch them fly around going who knows where.  They barely move and yet they go so far.  They stop whenever they want, to swoop down and spend a few minutes playing in a puddle of water.  


On the other end, a human tromps through that same puddle with not a care in the world about it.  Human says, "Ugh!! This puddle got my new shoes wet!! Now my day is ruined!"
Then human goes back to listening to his music in his ipod while he texts his friends the plans for the day.  Subconsciously human is also deciding what to eat when he gets to where he is going.

The whole world revolves around human, and anything unexpected brings him down and makes him angry.

That's what we call living.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... I'm right there with you.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...