Saturday, December 10, 2011

Where I Come From



I absolutely love every lyric to this song.  It's so true to real life in a small town.  From the big moon shinin', to the fact that nobody calls the cops, Montgomery Gentry nailed this song completely.  One of my favorite lines is

See that door right there
Man, I swear that it ain't never been locked
And I guarantee that it never will

Probably the absolute hardest thing for me to get used to in the city was locking doors.  I didn't decide to all of a sudden start locking doors out of fear, actually in my own naivety I would have kept things unlocked. Fortunately/unfortunately, I had three roommates last year who were all from large cities and they were absolutely anal about locking the doors.

A quick trip to the car and back consisted of carrying my keys with me, something that I thought was absolutely ridiculous.  I have this theory that if someone wants to break into your house bad enough, they'll break in--whether the door is locked or not.  I also don't put too much value on "stuff," so if my apartment were to get broken into it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.  Convenient yes, devastating, no.

To say the least, I am 20 years old and I have YET to see the key to my parent's house.  We do lock doors when we leave town, but we just come in through the garage when we get back, which is opened with a key pad.  I also never took my car keys out of my car till I moved to college.  I realize now that some people think this is ridiculous, but to me it was all I had known growing up.

After three years of college I have begun to feel like I am very city-trained now.  Out of respect for my roommates, I always lock the door, and my car, and carry my keys with me.  I take my keys in with me when I go shopping every time.  Well, almost every time.

A couple of days ago I went to a doctors appointment downtown.   As I walked out of the office, I reached in my pocket for my car keys and found nothing.  Rummaging through my purse, (which is entirely too large I've decided,) I still found nothing.  Getting frustrated, I lugged my suitcase, I mean purse, on top of my car and opened up wide to see if the keys had fallen to the bottom.  Nope, nothin'.  

Pausing to think of where these keys would have gone, I then sighed as a light bulb went off in my head.  I walked around the car, opened the door, and found my keys sitting nicely in the ignition where I had left them, my backpack, CD's, and recent purchases were siting in the front seat right next to it, untouched. :)

I guess there are some habits that you just can't take out of a country girl.  Thank God for the grace he has laid around my head!

1 comment:

  1. Growing up, we never locked up anything either. The house was always as we left it. Unless the wind was blowing really good then there was usually an extra layer of dust. But, as more folk move out to the country, we're starting to change our ways, too. I don't think I've ever seen the county deputy on our road as much in 20 years as I've seen them out in the past year. Wishing for the good ol' days-
    Dani (Beauty in Oklahoma)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...