Wednesday, December 28, 2011

During the Holidays

After reading this post you may agree with my brother and think that I have way too much thinking/observing time on my hands, but that's okay, it's what I do.  Through a combination of observing past holiday experiences and present circumstances I have caught on to another tactic of Satan.

Some of you may remember my post in early November Preparing for War, and Preparing for War pt. 2 in which I warned of Satan's Holiday tactics.  As I have survived Thanksgiving and Christmas (knock on wood,) I have noticed that these tactics of Satan have been executed once again.

In my previous post I described how the process starts.  You might have seen these plays used on you around Thanksgiving time.  Now that Christmas is over I think it is interesting to evaluate how we all handled the temptations thrown at us (1 Corinthians 10:13.)

In my own life, I have had randomly had several extra "male callers" lately.  What makes it interesting is that these men and I have nothing in common, and this has previously been established.  However, when I got the first random text a few weeks ago, all I could do was giggle at Satan's attempt to trip up both me and the fellow.  When I fall, it always begins with a random text from a random guy.

As I told my brother, if God hadn't of clearly warned me to watch out for Satan (1 Peter 5:8, John 10:10) and closely guard my thoughts (2 Corinthians 10:5, Philippians 4:6-8), I would have undoubtedly fallen into the lust trap as I have so many times before.  Fortunately, I promised myself I would stay in the Word and on guard throughout this Christmas break.  When I am obedient, God is faithful.


Not only have I seen Satan try to trip me up with emotional lust and attachment, but I have closely watched it happen to many other people in my life, both this year and years past.  Think of any dating or talking couple in your life right now.  Have they not become closer throughout this holiday season?  I've seen strong single girls sink into texting guys they know they won't be with during this time of year.

Watch Facebook and you'll see twice as much flirting.  Many of my Facebook friends have been playing the "Date or Pass" game to try and find a date.  I'm sure you've seen the lonely statuses too.  Everywhere you turn people are coupling up or complaining about being single until someone does couple up with them.  Why?  Because everyone wants to feel loved, especially during the holidays.  This is not a sin, it's how we are made.

It becomes a sin however, when we take these desires to someone/thing before we take them to God.  No person will ever completely fulfill us if we don't first learn how to rest in God. (Philippians 4:12)  It is also a sin when these desires give birth to sin (James 1:15.)

So right now, in the middle of the Christmas break, before New Years, I ask that you would examine some things in your life and on your mind right now.
Have you recently seen a relationship spring up in your life that does not honor God?
Have you turned to a relationship or person to take away your impatience during this season of life?
Are your actions reflecting your faith in God or your ability to do things in your own power?
Are certain thoughts causing you to stumble?  Where do these thoughts come from?

Do you feel as if you have distanced yourself from God over the past few weeks or month?

2 comments:

  1. Such an interesting post. I find myself "Falling in love with the idea of falling in love" when the holiday seasons come. When you see all of these couples all lovey-dovey around the holidays, it's no wonder I have the desire to have someone to be lovey-dovey with, but we all do need to stay on guard against falling for men we know are not right for us.

    I've fallen into this trap lately. I was so lonely I started to contemplate what life would be like if I was dating a certain male friend of mine, and then I realized that I would NEVER date him, we have too much not in common, especially when it comes to our views on God and the Relationship with Him.

    Thanks for the post Squeezy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kimmy, thank you for your honest, transparent, and loving heart. I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one struggling, and yet pleased to know I could lift your spirits a little.

    You are going to have such an amazing husband when God brings him to you! What a lucky man he will be ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...