Monday, May 9, 2011

The Truth about Dating Divinely

The older I get the more stories I hear about God's timing for our love stories. It seems to be true that once we come to the point of complete and total abandonment of our personal desires for love and marriage--the point where all we want and all we need is God alone--this is the point where he final says, "Okay, now you're ready to meet your spouse."

Focusing fully and completely on God is hard. Living a life to glorify him in everything you do is very difficult, in fact most people are too afraid to even try. It's a lifelong struggle of laying down idols, sinful desires, and selfish motives, to pick up God's will, his desires, and his patient plan of perfection. I don't think anyone ever perfects this--but I think we can be stronger or weaker at doing this depending on our faith in the Lord.

Because this is such a difficult life-long pursuit, how in the world do you keep God your main focus when you throw in another person? I honestly have no idea how married couples do it. As a single woman, all of my time, energy, and focus is put into keeping God my main source of everything--if another individual were to come in and try to steel half of this attention, I don't know what I would do. Obviously, God leads us and prepares us for the challenge of loving both--in his time, but until you are a single woman who is firmly and consistently relying on the love and plans of God, I don't think God will show you the man he has set apart for you.


These are some of the theme verses of my life regarding this issue:


1 Corinthians 7:34
"An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned with the Lord's affairs; Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit."

1 Corinthians 10:13
"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

Philippians 4:12
"I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Psalm 72:25
"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you."

Philippians 3:8
"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish that I may gain Christ."

Matthew 22:37-40
"Jesus replied, love the lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment and the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All of the law and the prophets hang off of these two commandments."

Psalm 40:1
"I waited patiently for the Lord, he turned to me and heard my cry."

Proverbs 4:23
"Above all else guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...