Thursday, May 5, 2011

Give God the Pen

"Truly God gives the very best to those who leave the choice with him."
--Hudson Taylor

A friend of mine gave me this quote today after I had a very good quiet time about this very thing. I have been continuously learning that the more we let go, the more God steps in and does miraculous things that are far better than what we had planned. This has proven itself true in countless areas of my life, and I know it is the truth in the live's of others too. But today let's look at how this can affect our dating lives specifically.

There's a book by Leslie Ludy called "When God Writes Your Love Story." Although I have never read this book, the title has been imprinted in my mind over and over again. I told God many years ago that I wanted him to have complete and total control over my love life--and he has had that. This is so important to me because I know if I'm in control I will screw up and settle for something that's not that great. I also know that if I let God work out the plans he already has for me, I will be blessed beyond my imagination (Ephesians 2:10, Jeremiah 29:11, Ephesians 3:20.)

Join me for a short trip into your future: Years from now when you are looking back on your life, you think about how you and your husband met. You remember how ya'll met, who pursued who, who arranged the dates, how God was represented, and why you married that man. This can either be a joyous reflection that ensures you of how much your husband loves you and God provided for you, or this could be a scary reflection that causes doubts to rise in the back of your mind.

In the second scenario, this reflection could cause doubts and uncertainty to creep into your marriage because you realize that you are the one who arranged the marriage.
You think about it, and you texted him first.
You arranged the dates.
You pressured him into purposing,
and you did not seek God or friends advice on the subject at all.

So what makes you so sure he wanted to marry you in the first place? --says the devil.

You think about it, and you have no idea. You think, yeah...why didn't he pursue me? Was I not good enough? Was it not God's will?

Why did I have to force everything to happen? Hmm...

Manipulating, asking guys out, texting them first, arranging get togethers--that's not going to be a story of fate, destiny, or God's planning. That is a story of control, impatience, and insecurity.

Look at the alternative scenario. After reflecting on this love story you feel overwhelmed by God's grace and goodness. You are speechless to think that the man in the other room wanted you bad enough that he prayed about you, sought guidance from elders about you, and he took the time and courage to consistently pursue your heart.

Afterall, he did text you first.
He arranged the first date.
He surprised you with the purposal,
and countless friends, mentors, and pastors confirmed your relationship as a work of God.

This guy is obviously head over heels for you...even more now than he was then. --says the Lord.

You think about it. Yes! Lord, you are SO right! You have confirmed this relationship over and over again.
I know without a doubt in my heart that this man loves me and that he is the one you promised me years ago.

With a humbled heart and joyful soul you say:
Lord, Thank you for writing my love story.

Patient waiting, trusting, and depending on God--letting the man lead and develop the relationship--receiving advice and confirmation from spiritual leaders and mentors...THAT is a story of faith, love, destiny, and God's perfect planning.

Ladies, please. Let God write your love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...