Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Father Who Protects

As I stated in my last post, I recently watched the movie Courageous and absolutely loved it.  While the entire film was heart-wrenching and edifying, my favorite scene by far includes one of the fathers giving his daughter a promise ring, and a promise to go with it.

His short speech paints the perfect picture of what fathers are supposed to be from the time their daughter is born, to the day they walk her down the aisle.  God  gives us fathers to protect and guide us while we wait for our husband.  This is a channel God uses to speak, protect, love, and guide us with.  This is why the Bible makes so many references to obeying your parents.

So what if you don't have a father?  What if you have a Dad who's not a Christian?  Maybe you have a Christian Dad, but he hasn't stepped up to the plate in guarding your heart.  If you do have a Dad, regardless of his walk with the Lord--you can pray for him, encourage him, and show him respect through small acts of kindness.

No matter what your Dad situation, you do have a heavenly Father who is perfect and holy.  His grace covers any fault your earthly Dad has or had.  If you are willing to follow, submit, and listen to him, he will guide you through the courting process and lead you to the man he has picked out for you.

So many people go wrong when they say they are following God with their love life, yet they are searching, striving, and stressing about who and when they will get married.  The truth is that freedom comes from letting go.  God knows the timing, the prince, and the story, so why not let him write it the way he designed it?

In the book "When God Writes Your Love Story," Leslie Ludy writes a whole chapter on how beneficial her parents were to her courtship story with her husband Eric.

"When I first began to truly learn how to give God the pen to write my love story, one of the first things I felt Him lead me to do was to invite my parents to be on my team through prayer and accountability.  
It was as if he softly reminded me, 'Leslie, I have placed your parents in your life for a reason.  They have a special wisdom and anointing that I have given them, especially for your life.  Don't ignore the built-in teammates I've provided for you.'"

Respect your father this week.  He wants to be a part of your love story as much as God does.

4 comments:

  1. ALL I CAN SAY IS I LOVE MY FATHER VERY MUCH..AS HOW HE LOVES ME ..
    christian dating

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our daughter's 14th birthday on Sept. 14th. Taking her out for a real nice 5 star dinner and will present her with a promise ring. Pray God will bless this ceremonious occasion.
    IHMS - NC Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter turns 14teen this week I can't to
    give her promise ring I'm her step dad and I'm the one that has the dad is needs cause never had real dad untill she meant me god put me in her path to show her the rite from the wrong thank you lord I will be putting it down all the steps dad who actually care for there kids, I love u god. Rocky Ford. Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quality content is the important to attract the viewers to pay a quick visit the
    web page, that's what this website is providing.

    Also visit my blog international cash advance

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...