Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Grain Bins

Another great tradition for seniors in my small town is climbing the water towers!  What greater thrill of excitement than climbing 250 feet into the air just to say you did?  Oh how crazy you are in your younger years. :)  Of course, my friends and I took it 3 steps further when we contributed to this long time tradition.

It was my friend Ingrid's last night in America.  The next day she would return to her home country half-way across the world, and I would be at a loss for things to do.  It was a bittersweet night, but we wanted to spend it by having as much fun as possible, not thinking about anything sad at all.

Ingrid, Kristin, and I all spent the night at Ingrid's place.  It was a very old but well-known house around town. Two stories tall, a barn, and a wrap around porch about 2 miles outside of town.  At first we just watched a movie, nothing big.  But when the movie ended it was one in the morning.  Orneriness and curiosity surged through our veins as we began brainstorming fun ideas of things to do.

"I've got it," Kristin yelled.  "We need to climb the water towers!"

"YES."  Ingrid and I instantaneously agreed that this was our next plan of action.

Changing into our jean shorts and boots, we all three piled in my car old red and headed to town at 1:30 a.m.  As we headed towards the water towers everyone was anxiously sharing stories of other piers who had made this claim to fame recently.  In the midst of the excitement, I quickly pulled the steering wheel in the opposite direction and we spun around towards something AMAZING.

My passengers gasped and screamed in confusion wondering what in the world I was doing.  "The Grain Bins!"  I exclaimed.  "Ahh," they exhaled heavily as their eyes just nearly popped out of their heads.  "Epic," they agreed and smiled wildly.


I parked the car a few feet away, we slammed the doors and approached this mile-tall metal building type of thing, encouraged as we found the ladder.  But wait, as I reached for the ladder we quicly discovered that the first step was way too high for 5 foot somethin's to reach.  Kristin smiled and told me her idea.

So I got back in my car and pulled it forward every so slightly..."Woa!" Kristin exclaimed.  I was there.  The perfect parking job for a pick-me-up.   Laughing, the other girls decided I would be the one to go first since it was my car.  Unsure of how to do this, I held on to Ingrid's shoulder as I put my brown boots on the hood of old red.  Jousting myself up there, I jumped and grabbed the end of the ladder connected to the grain bins.  I grunted with anticipation as I pulled myself up the ladder and swung my feet around to the lower rungs.

"You've got it,"  Ingrid and Kristin clapped and laughed from 5 feet below.  A big smile spread across my face as I went to work climbing higher and higher up that ladder.  This is nothing, I thought, with a ladder this couldn't be easier.  Why hadn't people thought of doing this before?

"Come on," I called back down to my amigos as they followed my lead and climbed on top of my car.

"Here we come," they screamed back with enthusiasm.  After getting about two-thirds up the bin I decided there wasn't much reason for climbing to the top because the tin wouldn't hold us very well anyway.  My friends behind me agreed and we took turns taking pictures before we all jumped down.

"Now to the water tower," Kristin commanded.

"On it," I replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...