Monday, November 14, 2011

Guess Who's Prowlin!

Last week I posted Preparing for War! and Preparing for War!! Pt 2 in which I spoke of the spiritual warfare surrounding us as the holidays draw near.  After this morning's events however, I feel the need to reiterate this lesson.

I don't know about you, but Sunday nights are always the hardest for me to fall asleep.  I often hear many college kids say this too.  I don't think this is a coincidence.  After every spiritual high, Satan stands right there ready to attack.  Sundays for the most part, provide people with a boost of spiritual energy.  At the end of the day we're usually feeling pretty good about ourselves and the rest of the week, and Satan knows that.  Therefore, he makes it his goal to knock us down.  How? One of the biggest ways he does this is by robbing us of our sleep!  Although I recognize this trick, I still went to sleep an hour later last night, but when I woke up I found that my friends didn't have it quite so easy.

3 text messages and a phone call at 3:30 last night.  Tell me Satan wasn't up prowling around! (1 Peter 5:8)  Three different friends, three different situations, all were at a sincere low when they contacted me.  Now, I keep my phone on silent at night so I didn't receive these until the following morning at 6 a.m.  Of the three, two of them had just gone to bed when I was waking up at 6, and the other one was still awake...worrying about everything from his parent's divorce to his failing classes.

Please recognize this as Satan's workings.  When we are sleep-deprived we are more vulnerable to Satan's schemes.  This is why God created us to rest in the first place (Genesis 2:2-3.)  In Wild at Heart, by John Eldredge he makes the point that as Christians, we live in two worlds at the same time: the physical, and the spiritual.  One is just as real as the other, yet we shrug it off so easily as if it weren't important.  The truth is, we are at WAR presently!!  2 Corinthians 10:3 says, "For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does."


You hear that? Wage war.  That means we're called to stand up and fight, presently!  Now.  Galatians 6:13 "Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."  Fight the battle!  Every single thought that is not of Christ needs to be demolished (2 Cor. 10:5.)  That means watching what goes into your ears, eyes, and brain throughout the day.


Do the books you read help Satan get a foothold in your life?  Does the music you listen to encourage you to stand or fall?  Are the people in your life speaking truth to you or are they causing you to waver in your faith?  

Romans 12:21
"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

2 comments:

  1. Just a thought: When a lion is stalking prey they do not attack the main herd. They attack the stragglers standing apart from the rest. Being in relation with the herd is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely!! I love that illustration! My friend did a sermon once called "Divide and Conquer" which talked about how Satan gets us when we are away from the crew. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...