Monday, November 7, 2011

Climbin' the Water Tower

As we approached the main water tower of Frederick, I jumped up and down with excitement.  We were pumped.  "Kristin, you're goin' first this time!"  I shouted as we pranced up to this tall adventure.

"Guys this is kind of creepy," Ingrid shared.  Looking at her in confusion, she went on to explain, "This is the bad part of town.  I don't want to be here at this time of night."  By then it was 2 in the morning, and she did have a very, very valid point, but Kristin and I were on a mission.

"Ehh..it'll be alright," Kristin said with a smirk.

Just then a pit bull barked wild and uncontrollably.  The hair on my neck stood up as we quickly looked around.  Luckily we saw that the dog was in his cage.  We then stopped a minute to look for cops, but also to our benefit there were none.

"I'm goin' up," Kristin said bravely.  And Ingrid and I watched proudly from below.  After she got about a quarter of the way up this giant tower, she looked down to see where we were at.  Up until that point we had been watching and cheering with amazement and Kristin took step after step without hesitation.  But suddenly she seemed to realize how high up she was and she wasn't too sure about it.

The grain bins had been different, they had a nice metal ladder that was sturdy and seemed safe.  This water tower was like fifty years old or something and it had a very thin metal ladder running up the side of it.

"Keep goin" I called up to her.

"Uhh..I think I'm good." she responded.

 "Are you coming down," Ingrid asked.

"Yeah, I think I'll let one of ya'll give it a try," she said as she very slowly began making her way back down.

"Okay," I said and Ingrid and I briefly argued about who to send up next.

After watching Ingrid climb less than 1/4 of the way up, she came down and told me to go try it.  Finally, it was my turn.  The moment I had been waiting for.  A short jump and I was up and at it, climbing away on the tall, rickety old tower.  Step after step I climbed, Ingrid and Kristin impressed with my speed.  I got to the one quarter mark and looked down.


Oh snap, I thought silently to myself.  This was a LOT higher than it had looked from the ground.  Turning my gaze back upward, I kept climbing, desperate to make it all the way to the top.  After climbing for what had seemed like 50 yards, I stopped to catch my breath and looked down at my tiny friends.  I was up very very high, with nothing to protect me if I slipped or fell.

Although I couldn't see my friends' faces well, I could tell by their lack of movement that they were aware of my situation.  "You through?"  Kristin hollered up the tower.

 "Umm..maybe," I yelled back down as I took a quick survey of my surrounding areas.  Wow, this was a beautiful view.  I could see most-near all the ghetto from this point.  Old roads, broken down houses, and that dang Pit Bull that wouldn't shut-up.  Looking up, I realized I had a long way to go, but looking down I knew I would die if I fell.  With an 18-year-old's mind and a sense of pride to uphold, I thought long and hard about this exciting decision...would I quit or would I go?  Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...