Sunday, May 25, 2014

Escape.

I read books all day long about people who travel and taste and do and see.  Articles on EliteDaily and ThoughtCatalog accurately describe my fears and ambitions as a 23-year-old.

During the week I am happy.  I work hard doing a job that I love.  I promote my city and find satisfaction in doing so.  I am an adult: clean, sophisticated, and professional.  I play golf and do yoga and run and paint.  My weekdays are fantastic!

Then comes the weekend and--well, I'll be damned if you catch me wasting another second on that couch or in that bed.  The weekends are me time.  I expect fun, adventure and friends.  I hold it all in all week long, and by Friday night I need to see
funny people do dumb things, perhaps I need to be one of them.

My palette is wet for experiencing other cultures and living among people who are different from me.  I have time and money to explore at this stage in my life, and so that is exactly what I plan to do.

But it always seems like something happens.  The extended family comes in, so and so is out of money, this friend already has commitments, my parents don't think I need to waste gas.  It's always something, but you know I get tired of making excuses for not doing what I truly want to do.

I sometimes dream about being a wanderer.  I would love to just travel and work odd jobs across the country.  I would love to buy the airstream I found on Craigslist last week.  I'd fix it up and begin a journey of an undefined time and an undefined destination.  Why not?

Kid Rock says it this way:

"I just want to drink till I'm not thirsty,
I just want to sleep till I'm not tired,
I just want to drive till I run out of highway
under the purple sky."

Sometimes I worry if I'm not being content, but I don't think that's it.  I think I simply want to live life to the fullest and get the most bang for my buck with where I am in life at this moment.  Travel is always a fun option.

Palo Duro anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...