Monday, February 24, 2014

Roll Call

"You may say I'm a dreamer
but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you will join us
and the world will be as one"
--Imagine, John Lennon

The past month of my life has been full of changes and excitement.  My first big job, moving back home, re-introducing myself to each of the 3,862 citizens in this town...  It's all very energizing, yet I find my imagination on the loose.  

I have a paycheck now, so I dream about things.  Things like a house, another degree, fondue sets, and other random things.  I also dream about the future.  Where will I be in 10 years?  Where will I be in 5?  What are my goals and what do I need to be doing now in order to reach them?  Will I live here forever?  Will I still get to move off somewhere and live a freestyle life?  Am I going to always do PR, or will I one day be a full time artist and author?

As you can see, my mind quickly overwhelms itself.  I have spent a lot of time meditating on these questions and things.  While I definitely think it is important to have goals and tentative plans (keeping in mind God has the ultimate plans already written out), it is also equally important to live for the moment and enjoy what is in front of you.

That is the message I have received lately.  

While I have most certainly been enjoying my new career and my time living at home with Mom and Pop, there are parts where I am daydreaming and fantasizing too much.  When I wrote more about dating I used to always caution of the dangers of fantasizing.  Usually I spoke in regards to dating, getting married or sexual intimacy.  While the focus of the fantasy is quite different in this situation, the discipline is rather similar.

It all rolls back around to contentment.  Being content with where you are and what you have.  Philippians 4:12 never gets hammered in my brain quite far enough.  It doesn't help that the world around you is screaming "Buy this! Buy that!  Move here and see those!"

Again, goals and rewards and plans are excellent.  Just don't put them above the present.

Before I moved back I dreamed of moving here.  I couldn't wait to be close to my family.  I wanted to learn more about the farm with my Dad and more about gardening with my Grandpa.  I just knew it would be perfect.

Well my circumstances are different than I had dreamed because I have a full time job, however it's up to me to make that dream a reality before it passes and the next dream gets in the way.

I always have to go back to the wonderful Lady A lyrics, "Get caught in the race of this crazy life, tryin' to be everything will make you lose your mind." (American Honey)

I need God to constantly take me to those still and quiet waters and remind me that it's okay to rest, and it's okay to be still.  Resting in the moment is a beautiful thing.  Perhaps one day I will master it as my grandparents have.   They are so pleasant to be around because they never hurry.  They like long, slow, meaningful conversations, and they have a world of wisdom to be found inside each chat.

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes."
--Psalm 37:7

When you're young and independent and growing and learning as fast as your brain can keep up, it's easy to forget about what's important.  I suggest that your early 20's are meant for just that; finding a balance among all trails you walk upon.

Sometimes we need to let go and sometimes we need to pick up; stand back or jump in.  Listen to the stillness of the Lord and let the wisdom of the holy spirit be your guide.

We're going to be okay.  It's only a decade of learning.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...