Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Who Can You Serve Today?

It is often said that love is a choice, not a feeling.  When you chose to love someone, you are choosing to love them regardless of their attitude or reactions.  You are voting yes for them, in their darkest hour and in their roughest patch.  I am not asking you to reward temper-tantrums, but to encourage and lift up, in whatever way possible.

This morning in my quiet time I received some inspiration from my late Grandma.  I noticed that from the time she was my age till the day she died at 92, she was as faithful to her husband as a woman can be.  She spent all their days together, right by his side.  After his death in '89, she eventually dated other guys, but all the while she never quit talking about Earnest and how she longed to be with him again.  In fact, a small circle of us believe he came to get her the night she flew into heaven.

I pray that I could be a woman with that kind of love and loyalty.  I see opportunities to exercise this quality when I look at my friends.  Once I get past my own self-filled bubble of exciting achievements, I can see into the lives of others and understand all of their hopes and disappointments.  This is my window of opportunity.  Jesus tells us to "encourage one another daily," and "love our neighbor as ourselves."  But do we really live up to that calling?  When others slip away or encounter something devastating, do we step up or back out?

Love is hard.  It is asking the most vulnerable part of you to take a stand.  This raw love is beautiful; breathtaking.  In fact, it looks nothing like the pop-culture version we see on TV.  Hollywood glamorizes this messy, all-open, sex-centered affair of a relationship called "lust."  We call it love, but that is a lie.  It is an unfaithful web of lies.  Instead of looking to magazines and movies to inspire your character, why not look to those quiet couples around you who have been happily married for years?  You'll find them sitting right next to each other, worshiping and serving the Lord.  

No couple is 100% perfect, but there are always loyal ambassadors to learn from.

Who can you serve today?  Take a look around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...