Thursday, June 27, 2013

Coffee and Bikes

So I'm trying to get more consistent again at blogging.  I started working at a coffee shop a few weeks ago so I can be up at 6 a.m. and have time to get things done before socializing becomes a priority and distraction and so I can have time to read, write and pray, as I enjoy doing so.  You've probably noticed the last two weeks I have posted (yay) but it is Thursday and I have yet to post for this week.  So this is a forced post, but they say you have to make yourself do the hard stuff so you can reap the benefits later.  Plus the more you do something, the more you do something.  So as this may not be the best post, (it's not inspired or amazing) it is a post and it is out there.  I might have other unusual posts soon too, because I am trying to expand my talents as a writer and creator.

Tuesday was a fun morning at the coffee shop.  A regular and I sat there talking and drinking like always when two adventure-loving souls walked in.  Two young men dressed from head to toe in biking gear.  Red faced and sweaty from the already 100 degree Oklahoma weather, they looked around confused and asked me if they could park their bikes inside the shop.  "Sure, why not?" I replied.

Instantly my head started reeling with questions.  Who were they?  Where were they going?  Why were they getting coffee before a bike ride?  Isn't that bad for you?  I took a breathe and calmed myself down before I burst with questions.

"Hi, how are ya'll?"

"Great, just thought we'd come by and grab some coffee before we head out."

"Where are you going," I asked, relieved I finally had an opportunity to question them.

They then began to explain that they were "riding for affordable housing."

"What the heck does that mean?" I asked.



The redheaded guy began to explain that it was a non profit organization called Bike and Build (Bikeandbuild.org) The organization is made up of 18-25 year olds raise money then ride form coast to coast building houses and working in conjunction with local Habitat for Humanity locations.

What a fun idea!  I thought to myself, and proceeded to ask dozens of questions about everything from camping to biking gear to their physical fitness.  Surprisingly enough, neither of the young men had any type of bike training before they jump on a cross-country ride.  The darker one said the furthest he had rode before this was about 8-10 miles.  Wow!   I couldn't believe it.  I did a duathlon a couple of years ago and my first day of training was 5 miles.  5 miles on a bike is so insignificant if you are even in halfway decent shape.  Within a week I was riding 10 and for the race I rode 18 miles.

What about the pace? I asked.

With a group of about 40 riders on each of the 8 American routes, it is hard to ride in a pack.  The group tends to break up into smaller groups of about 3 or 4 and ride at their own pace, so speed is never a factor.  A supply van rides behind the pack with all sorts of medical things, food, and luggage.

In between my questions I had the chick who was in there with me pipe up.

"I don't know what all you guys do, but here's 10 bucks and any coffee or treats you get today are on me" she said.

How cool!  The guys were super appreciative, as they were pinching pennies to get across the states.  We asked them a few more questions about the routes, the set up and the fun they'd had.  Before they left the chick and I prayed over these two guys and asked the Lord to give them safe travels.  After only 5 minutes of adventure-talk these guys had to hit the road.  Dissapointed hope left me there in the shop.  I was dissapointed because I wanted to go with them, I wanted to ask more questions, and I wanted to hear more stories.  However I was hopeful because I had an idea of what I might do next summer. :)

For more information check out bikeandbuild.org and if you are a personal friend of mine please contact me if you would like to look into applying further.  I am very interested and would like to bring some friends.

Well that ends chapter 1 of the coffee adventures.  More to come soon..maybe!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...